Elmhurst Bicycle Club Constitution and By-laws
|I. Name and Type of Organization
||III. Membership and Dues
|IV. Officers and Duties
||V. Meetings & Quorum
||VIII. Authority and Amendments
ARTICLE I - NAME AND TYPE OF ORGANIZATION:
The name of this organization shall be the Elmhurst Bicycle Club. The type of organization shall be a non-profit, tax-exempt organization under section 501(C)(7) of the Internal Revenue Code.
ARTICLE II - PURPOSE:
The purpose of this organization is to promote bicycling in all of its aspects.
ARTICLE III - MEMBERSHIP DUES
Section 1 - Memberships:
Subject to the following paragraphs, membership in the Elmhurst Bicycle Club is open to anyone interested in bicycling.
- Anyone 18 years of age or older is eligible for individual membership. An individual membership is entitled to one vote.
- A family membership is available to all adult and youth (under 18 years of age) members of a family. A family membership is entitled to two votes, if two or more adult family members are present.
- The Club reserves the right to cancel any membership at any time for conduct detrimental to the image of the Club; for continual failure to observe the Rules of the Road; for compromising the safety of either the member or fellow riders; or for failure to maintain equipment in a safe and road-worthy condition. Cancellation will be by a simple majority vote of the Executive Board to be ratified by a two-thirds majority of the voting members present at the next regular Club meeting. The dues for the canceled membership will be refunded on a pro rata basis.
Section 2 - Dues:
- The Executive Board will establish a dues rate for individual and family memberships.
- Renewal dues shall be paid by December 31st for the next year's membership. Members must be current with their dues to be eligible for:
a. Club rides and activities
b. List server subscription
- The fiscal year will begin on January 1st and end on December 31st.
- Members who have paid dues and attended meetings prior to June, 1978, will be charter members and exempt from dues.
- Dues from new members who pay between October 1st and December 31st will cover the balance of the current fiscal year and the following fiscal year.
Section 3 - Liability Waivers:
- At the time of membership application and before a membership is effective, and upon each annual renewal thereof, each member must sign a waiver in the form as is currently in use by the Club assuming full responsibility for any accident, damage, injury, or loss incurred at any Club sanctioned ride or activity. A parent or guardian must sign a waiver for each child under 18 years of age.
- Members under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an adult member of the Club for all Club sanctioned activities.
ARTICLE IV - OFFICERS & DUTIES:
Section 1 - Officers:
The elected officers of this Club will be:
Vice President/Ride Captain
All elected officers must be adult members of the club.
Section 2 - Duties
- The President will be the presiding officer at all Club meetings and Executive Board meetings, and will be an ex-officio member of all committees, except the nominating committee.
- The Vice President will preside at Club and Executive Board meetings in the absence of the President. The Vice President will also be the Ride Captain. The Ride Captain shall be responsible for the Club's ride schedule.
- The Secretary will take minutes at Club and Executive Board meetings and conduct the necessary correspondence of the Club.
- The Treasurer will prepare and keep all Club financial records and transactions, will give a financial report at each meeting, will prepare an annual financial report, and will prepare and file any documents necessary to maintain the Club’s non-profit tax-exempt status. The Treasurer's records will be audited as soon as practicable following the Treasurer's term of office or as otherwise determined by the Executive Board. The Treasurer may make expenditures of Club funds for regular and necessary expenses of the Club by reimbursing Club members for funds expended by the member on behalf of the Club or by paying vendors of goods, services or facilities. All such expenditures by the Club shall be supported by paid receipts, cancelled checks, invoices, or other written evidence of the expenditure as approved by the Treasurer. All other expenditures of the Club funds shall be as approved by the Executive Board. The Treasurer shall prepare and submit an annual budget to the Executive Board for approval.
- The Membership Coordinator will collect and process all membership applications, transmit all dues to the Treasurer, maintain a current membership directory, maintain membership liability waivers and provide a mailing list solely for use by the Club. The Membership Coordinator will maintain a membership database and administer the mailing list server.
- Any vacancies which may occur shall be filled by a majority vote of the Executive Board, and the person filling the vacancy shall hold the office until the next election of officers.
- Any elected office may be held by two members.
- One person may hold two or more offices, except President.
Section 3 - Executive Board
- The Executive Board shall consist of the five elected officers and the Newsletter Editor. Any Officer or Chairperson not fulfilling their duties appropriately may be removed by a majority vote of the Executive Board, and a replacement to complete said term of office shall be appointed by the Executive Board.
- The Newsletter Editor shall be responsible for preparing, editing and publishing the Club newsletter.
ARTICLE V - MEETINGS & QUORUM
Section 1 - Meetings:
- The time and place of regular membership, Executive Board, and special meetings shall be determined by the Executive board.
- The following shall occur at regular membership meetings in an order determined by the President: Call to Order; Secretary's Report; Treasurer's Report; Vice President/Ride Captain's Report; Newsletter Editor's Report, Membership Chairperson's Report, other Chairpersons' Reports; Announcements and General Business; Adjournment; and Program.
Section 2 - Quorum:
A Quorum for membership meetings shall consist of thirty voting members. A quorum for Executive Board meetings shall consist of four members. Action by the Executive Board may be by written or electronic means in lieu of a meeting; however, in such case action may only be taken upon the majority vote of the entire Executive Board.
ARTICLE VI - COMMITTEES
Section 1 - Standing Committees:
Standing Committees will be:
Member Miles Database
Awards and Club Attire
Committee chairpersons shall be appointed by the Executive Board.
Section 2 - Special Committees:
Special committees may be established as needed by the President or Executive Board.
ARTICLE VII - ELECTIONS:
Election of officers shall be held at the November Meeting for a one-year term. The nominating committee, appointed by the President, shall present a list of candidates for the offices to be filled at the October meeting. Additional nomination, with the nominee's approval, may be received from the floor up until the time of election. Election is by a majority of members present. All officers shall assume their positions on January 1st.
ARTICLE VIII - AUTHORITY AND AMENDMENTS
Section 1 - Authority:
The authority for all matters of procedure not covered by the Club's constitution shall be Robert's Rules of Order, Revised.
Section 2 - Amendments:
These articles may be amended by a two-thirds vote of members present at a regular meeting, provided that the proposed changes have been presented at a the previous regular meeting and also printed in the Club Newsletter immediately preceding the regular meeting at which the vote is to be taken.
ARTICLE IX - DISSOLUTION
The Club may be dissolved by the vote of two-thirds of the members present at a special meeting of the Club called especially for the purpose of dissolution of the Club on a date not less than thirty days after the call for such meeting is published in the Club Newsletter. Upon dissolution, any financial assets of the Club will be donated to bicycling-related charities to be chosen by the Executive Board.