Forest Preserve District of DuPage County: Winter in the Preserves
When conditions permit, rangers groom trails for classic and skate-style cross-country skiing at ten of the forest preserves.
Call 630-871-6422 for a recorded message about conditions. (The message is not always changed immediately after grooming.)
You can also try calling the Forest Preserve Office at 630-933-7248.
Forest Preserves of Cook County Cross-Country Skiing
People may cross-country ski in all areas of the Cook County Forest Preserve (except in certain special-use areas: eg. golf courses and nature centers)
, from 8AM to sunset.
Arrowhead Golf Club, Wheaton
The Arrowhead Golf Club offers groomed trails which you may enter or exit the Herrick Lake Forest Preserve.
The course will be open when the ground is frozen and there is a 6" base of snow on the course.
To reserve ski equipment, or for updates on skiing conditions and availability, call 630-653-5800 ext. 4.
EBC Member Recommendations & Experiences
Cross-Country Skiing Recommendations from EBC Member Pam Lassers
Michigan Upper Peninsula (U.P.) Ski Trip History
Local Ski Club Sites
- ABR Trails, Ironwood, Michigan "A full service ski touring center located on over 1100 scenic acres of varied terrain along the Montreal River in Ironwood Michigan."
- Slumberland Birkie / American Birkebeiner "(Hayward, WI) ...The mission of the American Birkebeiner Ski Foundation is:To promote and conduct the finest international cross country ski competition;To serve as good stewards of the American Birkebeiner Trail;To support healthy and active lifestyles among people of all ages and abilities."
- Chicago Metropolitan Ski Council "The Chicago Metropolitan Ski Council (CMSC) primary goal is to promote and support our member clubs in their effort to further the interest in skiing, snow boarding and year round activities - social activities."
- Cross Country Skier (magazine) "The Journal of Nordic Skiing"
- SkinnySki.com "Narrow skis, wide coverage"